Another Bucket kicked!!

Trip to Burlington Mass. to see Rick and Family

May 28 to June 1st 2024

Just barely back from a great trip to finish my 50 states and I felt the urge to go to New England and visit family. I had not seen Like, Mandy and Wyatt for a while, I had nothing else to do so I decided to impose on Rick and Jo. When I called they were happy for me to come and visit. (or at least they said they were I thought at the time)

They proved it by scheduling a trip to Fenway Park to see the Detroit Tigers and the Boston Red Sox. Being a Yankees fan, my desire to see family, my first visit the oldest continuing Baseball Park, sing Sweet Caroline with 30,000 people and enjoy seeing the Tigers win was overwhelming.

It happened that the Red Sox inducted Trot Nixon, Jonathon Papelbon and Dustin Pedroia to the Red Sox Hall of Fame that day.

Pete Marek, a long time friend of Rick from Clarkson University days joined us. As you can see the stadium was very full and we had great seats.


There is a lot of talent that you don't get to see watching the game on TV.
The woman was selling  "Truly" an alcoholic drink

The stadium attendants were very helpful in getting me to and from my seat. Rick had made arrangements for a close parking spot within 30 feet of the gate. The staff guy met us and took me right to the seat, and picked me up after the game was over. Very friendly and there was a young woman who walked ahead of us and cleared the way for the wheelchair.
It wasn't cold to lots of the fans but I was kept warm due to Rick's winter coat and my hoodie.


Grandson Luke, grand DIL Mandy, Great grandson Wyatt and DIL Joanne 
I got to spend several hours and had dinner with them. Wyatt is #15 Great Grandchild of 17 with another due in August


I left mid morning on the 31st and stopped at Shelbourne Falls on Rt 2 in Massachusetts. This was a favorite stop for Barb and I on our way back to Old Forge from Ricks.



The round holes are called "lava pots" left over from volcanic activity.
A bridge across the Deerfield River is called the Bridge of Flowers. The village is centered around the falls, the river and the bridge





Panasonic view from the Bridge of Flowers toward the dike and the falls beyond. 


My next stop was in Old Forge where I spent a lot of time driving around viewing places I was familiar with. This was our home from 1995 to 2003. It doesn't look well cared for and new siding had been installed. Much as I wanted to, I didn't get closer. 

Lake view from the association beach which is adjacent our old place.

A new camp is being built on the other side of the beach from our old home, It is fairly close to Rt 28 and I expect it will be very noisy in the busy seasons.


I also was able to go to lunch with Pastor and Frederica Stoudt. PB was our pastor at Inlet Community Church when we lived there. He has had a lot of health complications including 3 types of cancer. He resides in a Hospital/Nursing home in Lowville NY which is a short drive from from his home in Lyons Falls.

He looks very good but has some lingering issues. He has taken on preaching at the Nursing home regularly, seems to know all the residents and is well liked there.

This is Lyons Falls. The Black River and the Moose Rive meet here and flow through a power generating station here at the falls.



Another site I visited was at Ager Falls just upstream on the Moose River from Lyons Fall. We liked to come here to watch the kayakers here when an upstream  dam was opened to allow contests. The surface you can see is all one huge rock formation.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alaska trip 2023